The Orioles are the Oakland Athletics of the East

Uli2001

Seeing the Nationals sign Max Scherzer for a $210 mil contract shines light on the fact that the Orioles version of moneyball never even has them in this kind of conversation.

Just like Oakland, their strategy is good enough to field a contender that makes the playoffs more often than not, but in this day and age of baseball, the World Series winningteams are the ones that spend big. Just go through the list of the World Series winners from the past decade. Moneyball gets you in the playoffs, but does not win titles.

The Orioles were big spenders in the mid-1990's, and it should have gotten them a title in 1997 except for the bounce of the ball. After that, Peter Angelos apparently decided first that he did not want to spend enough to compete, and then later that he would spend only under a moneyball strategy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oakland made a huge mistake trading the heart and soul of that team last July. They were easily the best team in the AL before that trade, and then became garbage immediately afterwards. They might have gone all the way last year without that trade.

As for the O's, I think April just can't get here fast enough because this team is boring the living crap out of me.

Seeing the Nationals sign Max Scherzer for a $210 mil contract shines light on the fact that the Orioles version of moneyball never even has them in this kind of conversation.

Just like Oakland, their strategy is good enough to field a contender that makes the playoffs more often than not, but in this day and age of baseball, the World Series winningteams are the ones that spend big. Just go through the list of the World Series winners from the past decade. Moneyball gets you in the playoffs, but does not win titles.

The Orioles were big spenders in the mid-1990's, and it should have gotten them a title in 1997 except for the bounce of the ball. After that, Peter Angelos apparently decided first that he did not want to spend enough to compete, and then later that he would spend only under a moneyball strategy.

Then how come the O's beat the Tigers, who outspent them, and subsequently lost to the Royals, who they outspent?

Or does this miraculous spending plan only work once you get to the World Series?

Then how come the O's beat the Tigers, who outspent them, and subsequently lost to the Royals, who they outspent?

Or does this miraculous spending plan only work once you get to the World Series?

It's a statistical argument. But baseball is a quite predictable sport. The big spender will beat the moneyballer in the playoffs "9 times out of 10." Let's not forget either that the Orioles had Cruz and Miller on the cheap last year. That is not likely to happen often.

Does anyone here want to still be paying 15 million a year to Scherzer over a decade from now?

Didn't think so.

The question should be: does anyone want to win a title or two in the next decade?

I am not saying this is a good system, I am saying it's the reality of baseball. The best players are very expensive and you need them to win.

It's a statistical argument. But baseball is a quite predictable sport. The big spender will beat the moneyballer in the playoffs "9 times out of 10." Let's not forget either that the Orioles had Cruz and Miller on the cheap last year. That is not likely to happen often.

Pretty sure what you have since the Yankees hegemony ended is just statistical noise. Yes a top 10 team in payroll (7th) won the WS but the Dodgers lost and the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies didn't even make it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If only the Nationals had local TV revenue they'd be real players in the free agent market... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="

">January 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is a large group of people that wants to win a championship more than anything else. I want to do what the Tigers, Royals, Mets, Twins, Dodgers, A's, Reds, Blue Jays, Braves, Yankees, Marlins, D-Backs, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies, and Giants have all done since we last won one....celebrate!

If doing nothing this winter gets us that title this year, fine. But I am not satisfied with 2 pathetic ALCS losses to inferior opponents across a 17 year stretch while the Giants fans have enjoyed 3 actual parades in the last 5 years.

So if the Os want to play thrifty ball, fine....as long as it results in a title. I'm willing to wait to see what happens in October, no matter how boring this offseason has been.

If doing nothing this winter gets us that title this year, fine. But I am not satisfied with 2 pathetic ALCS losses to inferior opponents across a 17 year stretch while the Giants fans have enjoyed 3 actual parades in the last 5 years.

Tough crowd! You're bringing up the 1997 season as if it has anything to do with the present-day Orioles?

As others have mentioned, playoff series are essentially a crap shoot. Any team can win or lose in a 5- or 7-game sample. What is it that you're advocating the Orioles do to assure a World Series victory?

The question should be: does anyone want to win a title or two in the next decade?

I am not saying this is a good system, I am saying it's the reality of baseball. The best players are very expensive and you need them to win.

Nice try, Dan Duquette.

Get back to work!

I do not believe in Scherzer type contracts, but Orioles beat the Tigers due to incompetent managing by Detroit and because for a WHOLE 3 games they outplayed Detroit, even with 1/3 of team unavailable. Talk about a small sample size, this is the textbook one. Isay lets take the next step and win it all in 2015 and beyond. We can do it with WISE spending, not Reckless spending and absurd long term contracts.

Archived